Data Governance Specialist
Job Title: Data Governance Specialist
Reports to: IT Director
Department: Information Technology (IT)
FLSA Status: Exempt
The Data Governance Specialist is responsible for managing all company-wide data governance activities. This role manages the protection of sensitive data and information assets. Focuses on establishing and ensuring adherence to an enterprise data governance framework for data policies, standards, and practices, both at the department and functional areas level, to achieve the required level of consistency, quality, and protection to meet overall business needs. Serves as a point of escalation for governance, data quality and protection issues. Works closely with departmental leadership to improve the quality and value of core data assets, respond to regulatory protection requirements as well as support Company’s strategic requirements.
Primary Tasks and Responsibilities
- Establish and govern an enterprise data governance implementation roadmap including strategic priorities for development of information-based capabilities.
- Facilitate the development and implementation of data quality standards (new and existing), data protection standards and adoption requirements across the enterprise. Works with end users and leaders to enforce data governance policies.
- Refines documents and communicate business rules and policies to prevent future errors.
- Roll out an enterprise-wide data governance framework, with a focus on improvement of data quality and the protection of sensitive data through modifications to organization behavior policies and standards, principles, governance metrics, processes, related tools, and data architecture.
- Define roles and responsibilities related to data governance and ensure clear accountability for stewardship of the company’s principal information assets.
- Serve as a liaison between functional areas and technology to ensure that data related business requirements for protecting sensitive data are clearly defined, communicated, and well understood and considered as part of operational prioritization and planning
- Develop & maintain inventory of the enterprise information maps, including authoritative systems, owners.
- Define indicators of performance and quality metrics and ensure compliance with data related policies, standards, roles and responsibilities, and adoption requirements.
- Spearheads data quality improvements projects.
- Coordinate and streamline external data sources to eliminate redundancy and streamline.
- Identify new opportunities pertaining to the use of information assets to achieve efficiency and effectiveness. Represent data as a strategic business asset.
- Conducts regular audits of key data to ensure complies with naming standards and data definitions.
- Identifies inconsistencies across multiple systems and maintain single source of truth.
- Maintains data dictionary for master data (including name, description, source of data, key words and categorize for searching).
- Facilitate request for new data and metrics through the evaluation and approval steps in the governance process.
- Learn and understand the end-to-end data flow including cross-functional processes.
- Collaborate with data analytics teams to enable reporting services and BI platform.
- Provide support to IT Director and IT Department as needed.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Works under the general direction and guidance of the IT Director.
Level and Type of Education Required
- Bachelor's Degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, Mathematics or Business required.
Related Work Experience Required
- 5+ years experience in a position responsible for defining and managing governance programs and data mapping.
- Expert knowledge of best-in-class data governance practices.
- Able to write basic SQL queries.
- Able to create, read and update BI Dashboards preferred.
- Previous experience working with ERP systems (NetSuite preferred).
Necessary Specialized Training, Knowledge, Skill and Abilities
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Outlook and Power Point.
- Advanced Excel user.
- Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing in English.
- Proven team player comfortable working on multiple cross-functional teams.
- Critical thinker with strong problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated time management skills including the ability to manage multiple projects/tasks at once while adhering to deadlines.
- Strong organization & planning skills; attention to detail
- High degree of integrity including ability to handle sensitive/confidential information.
- Maintains a positive, open, and objective attitude.
- Strong business acumen with an ability to rely on judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
- Results-oriented, takes pride in accountability.
- Must be dependable and reliable (excellent attendance).
- Adheres to Hinkley core values.
Work Environment and Physical Requirements
The following descriptions are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to work in an office and perform in a corporate environment
- Occasionally asked to assist in tasks outside of office environment (i.e.: distribution center)
- Ability to sit for prolonged periods of time
- Ability to view computer screen and type on a keyboard
- Ability to converse over a telephone (hear, speak)